The story of Fifty Berkeley Square gave Matt the creeps when he was a kid. Despite losing the book in which he originally found the story, it stuck with him for over 30 years. Join Matt as he recounts the many versions of this oddly familiar tale followed by a brief discussion about what made this story work and endure.
This episode was written by Matthew Armstrong with music by Matthew Armstrong and production assistance from Kaylia Metcalfe.
A transcript of this episode is available here.
Things mentioned that warrant links.
- 50 Berkeley Square, in London
- George Canning
- Warboys / Fury Road
- Maggs Brothers (Antiquarian Bookstore / Owners until 2015)
- London Blitz
- In Search Of
- Borley Rectory
- Brown Lady photo
- Bedtime Stories / “The Unnamed Horror of Berkeley Square.”
- Paul Barber’s book Vampires, Burial & Death
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton’s 1859 story “The Haunted and the Haunters.”
- Spiritualists of the late 19th century
- Haunted Houses by Charles G. Harper
- Haunted London by Peter Underwood.
- Miss Havisham / Great Expectations
Haunted London: http://www.haunted-london.com/50-berkeley-square
Lore Podcast: https://www.lorepodcast.com/episodes/129
Mental Floss: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/63012/secret-50-berkeley-square
ABC News: https://abcnews.go.com/International/ghost-hunting-uks-haunted-places/story?id=14852310
Strawberry Tours: https://strawberrytours.com/london/blog/culture/london-s-five-spookiest-ghost-stories
The Evening Standard: https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/attractions/ten-of-the-most-haunted-places-in-london-a3806806.html
Astonishing Legends (the Blog): https://www.astonishinglegends.com/astonishing-legends/2018/1/17/is-50-berkley-square-the-most-haunted-house-in-london
Mysterious Universe: https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2018/06/the-bizarre-nameless-thing-of-berkeley-square/
3 thoughts on “1. Fifty Berkeley Square”